Friday, August 26, 2011

Run, Forest, Run

"Sure, let's go down to the closest pueblo. It's not a long run," Amanda and Becky said as we started our thirty minutes of jogging after school on Wednesday. I threw in my headphones and was ready to let off a bit of steam from a crazy day with students.

Maybe my focus was off, or maybe my focus was too much on the music. Either way, I ignored the two stray dogs with their owner ahead. I must note: I have been thoroughly warned concerning stray dogs in Bolivia. Some come with rabies vaccinations, many live their whole life without them. They are territorial and scare easily. These truths became far more of a reality to me as I nonchalantly ran past the large black and small white dog. I barely even remember the three seconds which passed between my first step near the dogs and the moment when they had surrounded me barking. Quickly, I was made aware of the black dog's aggression as he came up behind me and bit me....yes... on the butt.

I'm sure my intense scream did not help the tension of the moment, but remaining calm in this situation was next to impossible. Of course, bending down...thus decreasing the space between my face and the dog's...was absolutely not an option. Finally, after some wiggling and uncontrollable waving of my arms, the dogs' owner called them away.

After the initial pain of the bite deadened a bit, the jokes and anticipation for my foaming at the mouth began. It turns out, doctors don't easily give out rabies shots, or at least not for a cheap price. On top of this, the vaccination requires a marvelous series of 10 shots. We found the nearest (40 minutes away) free health clinic and I decided that salvation from possible rabies surpassed any fear of the horror movie-like clinic we entered after school yesterday.

So now, the dilemma of finding the dog, its owner, and any possible paperwork faces me. If I can't seem to run into the dog (one of the thousands in Bolivia), I will be looking forward to a week and a half of minibus trips to the city. But life without ravenous mouth foaming is worth-it, right? I would say so.

I dedicate this blog to Scott Frost who has found great pleasure in reminding me of and sharing this story as much as possible.

Also, the new motto of the year: When life gets ahold of you, turn the other cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment