Sunday, August 14, 2011

Real? Really?

When people discuss the process of leaving the university and entering the "real world", I believe they are referring to the process of getting a steady job, a steady paycheck, and living on your own. I guess I decided this was too simple of a step, and proceeded to leave a few of those out while adding the "moving across the world" and "figuring everything out all over again, from grocery shopping to laundry" to make the change seem more exciting and worthy.

I have entered the "real world". I believe the art to smoothly entering this secret passageway which everyone talks about is yet to truly be discovered. Rather, I enjoy being thrown right in. For example, after getting a horrible stomach bug the first day of school, the "real world" told me I had to leave school and walk ten minutes across town to track down some antibiotics while feeling like I could pass out, all while wishing my mom had been present to do this for me. More so, the "real world" reminded me that showing up late to work would be unacceptable, and avoiding this would require a 5:15am wake up call...get this...every. single. day. This is when I kindly want to tell the "real world" to shut up. :)

Really, I had a great first week of school. I officially feel like being a teacher with real responsibilities. Yet, despite the drudgery of some of those responsibilities, it is nothing but rewarding to watch the children walk in your room with a smile and an attempt to describe how they are feeling in a language possibly so foreign to them.

Thus, rewards come in different forms. One form happens to be reading the tests many of the intermediate level English students must take. One boy in older elementary had just gotten word that his class had left for recess just as he had begun his writing segment for his test. With frustration as well as amusement, he rapidly finished a story about some hikers seeking out an "x" in the woods...."And when they found the "x", it said "secret passage." Then, they realized it was a hospital. Only, let me tell you, these weren't doctors. These were orgs! (I assumed he had meant to spell "ogres.") I still wonder what type of tv he has been watching. Anyway...

So, dear "real world", I welcome the invitation to be a part today. Only, please speak quietly and let me move slowly. In fact, feel free to send me any rewards you have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment