Sunday, July 10, 2011

Party at the PFO

Two days ago I returned home from two mentally strenuous weeks in Southaven, MS where I sat through long days of Pre-Field Orientation for the mission field. At first, I thought I knew what I was getting into. How tough could listening to seminars concerning life as a missionary and a teacher be?
Of course, when I realized each hour of listening would require intense processing as well as beg me to open up my heart to see the prejudices, fears, and grief I have towards leaving that which I "know", the two weeks proved harder than I thought. Yet, without a doubt, I was extremely blessed to spend time with over a hundred missionaries who are all in transition alongside me, also meeting four of the girls specifically headed with me to the city of La Paz. We walked through the challenges of culture stress, the art of working with the "Third Culture Kid" (those children living in countries other than their parents' passport country), and analyzed our personalities in order to recognize possible blessings, challenges, and conflict with future colleagues.
Thankfully, the intensity was dashed with a bit of seasoning through a wonderful Fourth of July firework display (Thanks, Southaven, for being one of the most patriotic towns I know!), a few hot dogs at a Memphis Redbirds game, a number of quick incognito Sonic slushy runs between sessions, and stress relieving racquetball tourneys at the local gym.
I don't know if I'm ready for what these next few days will bring...as we live in a world where we try to avoid life changes and goodbyes due to the convenience of Facebook and Skype. I'm fighting hard against this. Saying goodbye is good for us. Affirming those who have meant so much to us is an opportunity. And if anything...the more phone calls, emails, and lunches I can be a part of...the more I can stall against packing. And for this, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment