Wednesday, July 27, 2011

At peace in La Paz

Dearest family and friends,

I would like to officially announce that my life in La Paz has begun. Maybe the initiation was paying the taxi driver double the fare and graciously figuring it out after he stared at me in shock. Maybe it has been eating a chunk of llama for lunch...(one of the safer forms of acclimating to Bolivian food of which i'm still not sure tasted much different than bison). Or maybe it has been enjoying a delightful evening eating with my roommate Alison and her wonderful Bolivian friends.

The newness of everything...from figuring out how to shop for the most simple items to learning my way around they city...has been overwhelming but pleasantly surreal as I realize this is becoming my life for the time being. I am so thankful for at least a small grasp on the language as I know that could easily make this process much more difficult. A few staff from Highlands International School who were able to be back early have been tremendously helpful through tours and being willing to answer my thousands of questions about Bolivian life.

God has been so faithful. As we drove in from the northern part of the city and were able to see a night time view of La Paz, I was in awe to see the lights as a "Bowl of Jewels" which do nothing less for me than claim God's love over the city. Thank you for your prayers (which got myself and my luggage here despite the odds of luggage embargoes) and for your enthusiasm for ministry here (as it fills me with joy to write about it.) Tomorrow I will finally see the school, where I know I will be spending a large amount of my time. When things settle down a bit, I plan to provide more anecdotes of moments here. I can't wait to paint the story for you in these coming days....

Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, Gaylin referred me to your blog and your new adventure. It is a joy to read of how God is using you! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete